Saturday, October 9, 2010

What Dreams May Come

Last night I had a dream in which I baked many delicious desserts for some kind of fundraiser.  The most popular were the lemon meringue cupcakes.  Now I want to bake, bake, bake!  Unfortunately, I lack ingredients and equipment.  But I'll have a few things to try come December in the Rak kitchen.

Thursday night after class I went with a friend to where her host family lives in Como Lago, a small town on a lake about an hour by train north of Milan.  It was gorgeous!  The combination of the mountains (these are called the "pre-Alps") and the water of the lake reminded me of Liguria, the region of Italy that contains Genoa and Cinqueterre, only this was a slightly smaller scale.  There was a traditional boat there that reminded me SO much of the boat that sank in "Anne of Green Gables," leading to Gilbert's rescue of our red-headed heroine.

A funny thing... Before I speak, Italians almost never assume I'm an American.  Most of the time they think I'm French.  I wonder why.  Maybe they think I look like I can bake delicious pastries.  Hmm, baking...  After I speak, of course, they figure me out pretty quickly.  BUT, the other day, I ordered a cappuccino and sounded so Italian, the guy making it for me was really surprised when he found out I wasn't!  Look at me, pickin' up the accent.

3 comments:

  1. Love iiiiiiit!!!
    A) I love the Anne of Green Gables reference,
    B) I love that you're getting your accent down! Isn't if fun to pretend that you're a real Italian and wow Italians with your accent?! Wohoo!
    C) I miss you so much.
    D) You're wonderful!
    I love you,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela! I love Lake Como - it's only 4 hrs from us, and a great place to relax. I hope you had nice weather. I loved reading about your dream - now I'm really hungry for a cupcake! I guess my awesome Swiss yogurt will have to do, instead. Cupcakes are hard to come by here, except for the ones at Starbucks - which are more like muffins with frosting on top! Thanks for blogging - I love reading what you are up to.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was my ongoing goal while in Italy: fool as many people as possible into thinking I was one of them. Unfortunately, I never really got it down, but that only makes one of us--good work.

    ReplyDelete